I know that plenty of other and better writers have examined what it means to be a Kingdom Christian, but I'm writing this as an exercise in self-examination as much as anything else.
I thought I'd just go through and list what Jesus said about it, gospel by gospel.
If I aspire to be a Kingdom Christian, I should:
- Repent (Matthew 3:2; 4:17)
- Be poor in spirit (Matthew 5:3)
- Prepare to be persecuted (Matthew 5:10)
- Be careful what I practice and preach (Matthew 5:19)
- Experience surpassing righteousness (Matthew 5:20)
- Pray for God's will to be done (Matthew 6:10)
- Do, not just say, what I believe (Matthew 7:21)
- Prepare to be in lots of good company (Matthew 8:11)
- Go. Preach. (Matthew 10:7)
- Recognize there will be greater folks than me in the kingdom (Matthew 11:11)
- Be forceful (Matthew 11:12)
- Be a uniter, not a divider (Matthew 12:25)
- Admit I may not know all the secrets (Matthew 13:11)
- Weed the enemy out of my heart (Matthew 13:23-34)
- Understand that a little goes a long way (Matthew 13:31-34)
- Realize the Kingdom is worth everything I have (Matthew 13:44-46)
- Avoid being a smelly, bad fish (Matthew 13:47-50)
- Treasure the old and the new (Matthew 13:52)
- Squelch ambition; value humility (Matthew 18:1-4)
- Accept mercy by showing mercy (Matthew 18:22-34)
- Examine my (gulp!) willingness to accept other things (Matthew 19:12)
- Again, be childlike (Matthew 19:14)
- Again, treasure true wealth (Matthew 19:23-24)
- Accept God's view of fairness (Matthew 20:1-16)
- Open doors rather than shutting them (Matthew 23:13)
- Keep watch; be prepared (Matthew 25:1-13)
- Invest my talents to yield results (Matthew 25:14-29)
- Anticipate the feast (Matthew 26:29)
Whew! I'm glad I framed this as a list and not a pop quiz.
I'm not sure I'd like my score.