- God's Holy Spirit hovered over the face of the waters before composing new life on this world
- He put the consummation of that new life - Man - in a garden from which four great rivers flowed
- He rescued Noah and his family from the evil surrounding them by floods of water
- He helped Moses and his people escape from the evil pursuing them by holding back the water no longer
- He sustained Israel in the desert with water from a rock
- He healed Naaman using water from a second-rate stream
- He brought thousands into His fold in century one with the gift of baptism and millions since
And when any of them have been in trouble after all that salvation, it was because they had towelled off and gotten dry and forgotten from Whom it had come.
Adam and Eve invented sin. Noah's daughters strayed. Israel complained about water, and Moses boasted when striking it from a rock. The church of century one had every kind of challenge imaginable after selling what they owned and sharing what they had left, defying imperial orders to worship a man, clinging to their first love.
When they were still wet behind the ears, they went through what Mike Cope calls the "mounting-up-on-wings-like-eagles stage" and then through the "run-and-not-grow-weary stage" and eventually through the "walk-without-fainting stage" until finally the love of most had grown cold and their skin had gone dry and they wandered in a desert without even wondering where they had left behind their salvation.
So maybe it's worth asking ourselves from time to time: Am I all wet?
"Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin. ... Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me." Psalm 51:2, 12