But even more off-putting than the outdated language are those insistent themes of dedication, self-sacrifice, and so forth.
So I've thought about updating some of those grand classic hymns - if not with more contemporary language - at least with a more realistic outlook. You know, titles like:
- Living By Fate
- Take My Life and Let it Alone
- I Need Thee Every Week
- It is Well With My Bankroll
- Joyful, Joyful We Ignore Thee
- Lord, I Want to Like You More
- O Master, Let Me Balk With Thee
- 'Tis The Blessed Minute of Prayer
- We'll Wait 'Til Jesus Comes
- Let Jesus Bear The Cross Alone and
- Come Let Us Worship and Sit Down
I just think we'd all be more comfortable with some hymns like these.